Friday, August 19, 2011

An Irish Dress

Sydney is about to begin 1st grade. But while she was still in Kindergarten, her class did a performance of It's A Small World. The teachers asked each of the kids to dress in traditional clothes from a country of their choice. Sydney decided on Ireland so we went to work on an outfit a couple days before her performance. She loves getting dressed up for any reason so she was very pleased with the result. I think she looks adorable but the sewer in me see the things that could be better.

I just made a longer version of this skirt, with a little lace at the bottom instead of ribbon. Then I made her a quick little apron. I just cut out the shape I wanted, hemmed around all the edges and added a little tie. That gray striped fabric is from my mom's stash from when I was a little girl. Finally I made her a little vest. It was my first attempt at making a vest and I just went for it without a pattern so it is a little bit too small. We wanted to add some cording to lace the vest up so we were able to make it work though. To top off the outfit we braided her hair in a crown and added a few flowers.

2 comments:

lightyear8 said...

Beautiful!!

vicotria grayson said...

Both fashion and home fabrics can be bought at wholesale rates. Get more info about liverpool fabric read here.